Invalid arugment and IO Error with bunzip2

William A. Hoffman billlist@nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 22 11:15:00 GMT 2002

At 11:56 AM 10/22/2002 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:49:16AM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>My guess is this problem is related to the ntsec stuff as are many
>>recent posts.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to get cygwin to
>>work properly these days I had to do two things:
>>
>>1.  manually modify the /etc/passwd file mkpasswd -du mywindowslogin >>
>>/etc/passwd Where mywindowslogin is the name of the account that you
>>log into windows with.
>>
>>2.  set CYGWIN=nontsec
>
>There is no reason to do both.  If you are not going to use ntsec then
>CYGWIN=nontsec should be equivalent to 1.3.12.

That is not what I saw.   After doing 1, most cygwin things worked, however, there
were .exe files installed on my disk that were no longer executable.   These were
things installed outside of cygwin.   I had to add the CYGWIN=nontsec to get it
to completely work.   Just adding the CYGWIN=nontsec did not fix my problems as
the /etc/passwd did not have the correct user in it.

>I'm amazed at the number of people who have incorrect /etc/passwd files.

I would say that many people using cygwin, do not even know that they
have a /etc/passwd as it is created automatically by setup.   So, if the
setup program is not creating the correct thing, why would you be amazed if
there are many incorrect files around?

>>There are many posts of gcc does not work, patch does not work, bz2
>>does not work, XXX does not work....  I suspect many of these problems
>>are related to not being able to read/write files.
>>
>>Is there some way that this can be fixed?  If you run setup on a new
>>computer right now (or at least two days ago), gcc will not work and
>>all files you create
>>will be owned by a non-existent user.    Perhaps there should be a warning or a
>>FAQ entry, but I would think that the default running of setup should
>>create a cygwin that works.
>
>I haven't seen anyone say that running setup on a new computer doesn't work.
>It seems to be existing implementations that need tweaking.  I don't know
>why.

That is not what we have seen.   After removing the install, and re-installing,
I could not get it to work without the above two changes.   Anyway, an update
should work as well.  Perhaps I did not remove all of it, but I tried....

-Bill