Initializing and cygwin.bat

Sven Köhler skoehler@upb.de
Mon Oct 21 00:59:00 GMT 2002

> As a new user I wanted to customize cygwin.bat to my system, which
> uses 4dos as the shell and only maintains command.com as an
> antique.  W98 BTW.
>
> I found that various commands wouldn't work!  The reason was that
> command.com was being called in the .pif file.  I simply changed
> the .pif to specify "%comspec%" in place of
> "c:\windows\command.com".
>
> Is there any reason setup shouldn't do this in the initial
> creation?  Since the .pif files are of some peculiar structure I
> had to use explorer and the fursluginner mouse to make this
> change.

i don't use the batch-file anymore.
i changed the shortcut to execute bash.exe --login diretly, which avoids
a stupid question by cmd.exe after bash exists and Ctrl-C was pressed:
   Abort Execution (Y/N)
text may be different in englisch (using german windows)

i don't know, if this work for you, but instead of changing the
batch-file, you could change /etc/profile which is the first script
bash.exe executes (when run with the --login paramter)

starting bash without a batch-file also avoids the idle cmd.exe or
commmand.com process :-)

BTW: why is cygwin installed with that batch-file, and why doesn't the
setup create shortcuts to the command "bash.exe --login" but to cygwin.bat?
Has this been done for some reason?