How do I run shell?

Harig, Mark A. maharig@idirect.net
Wed Oct 16 14:45:00 GMT 2002

One of the (implicit, unstated) rules of using 'setup.exe' is that you
run it in a directory other than the directory in which you will install
the files.

try this (read the entire reply before starting):

   1. create a directory, say c:\cygwin-setup

   2. download (or copy) setup.exe to that directory

   3. run setup.exe by clicking on it from windows explorer

   4. one of the dialogs in 'setup.exe' is called 'Select Root Install
Directory'.
      Set the value of 'Root Directory' to something other than
c:\cygwin-setup, say, c:\cywin

   5. The following dialog is called 'Set Local Package Directory'.  Set
this to something other than the value you selected for 'Root
Directory', say, c:\cygwin-setup.

If you are running WinNT or Win2000, consider running NTFS as your
filesystem.  See the Windows 'convert' utility for instructions on how
to convert from FAT or FAT32, if necessary.