Errors during setup post-install scripts

David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Wed Oct 16 07:17:00 GMT 2002

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On 16 Oct 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

>>>Probably not, but someone has to actually do it.
>>>

>>It's been discussed in the cygwin-apps list, at length.
>>

>I'm looking into a simple-minded way to do this, and this raised at least
>one question: do we actually need the output of the post-install scripts
>flashing in front of our eyes?

IMO, no - the screen displays generally flash past too fast to be read
anyway.  Just log it!

>If not, I can just redirect it to a file,
>say, /var/log/setup.log.postinstall (there's probably no need for a
>separate file per script).

Well, it needs to be fairly simple to tell which script failed - if any.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.