paths like //usr/local

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 15 12:58:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Sven Köhler wrote:

> >>a path like //usr/local is treated as an UNC path.
> >>this might leads to problems when an application is using //usr/local as
> >>a normal "unix"-path.
> >>
> >>i don't know how to overcome the problem, but one might think of a path
> >>like /unc/computer/share instead of using the path //computer/share
> >>
> >>what was the idea behind the current behaviour?
> >
> > Do you think that Microsoft employees read this mailing list?  I'm sure
> > that there are one or two but I doubt that they could speak definitively
> > about why Microsoft chose this behavior.
>
> cygwin translates paths like /usr/local to c:\cygwin\usr\local and
> manages mount-points etc...
> cygwin opffers a complete "virtual filesystem"
>
> the cygwin-developers chose, to NOT convert //usr/local to
> c:\cygwin\usr\local
>
> i would like to know why.

Sven,
Basically your complaint is inconsistent behavior of multiple contiguous
slashes depending on where they occur in the path (i.e., the initial two
slashes won't be collapsed, but elsewhere in the path they will be).
Perhaps something like a unc_prefix is in order, similar to the cygdrive
prefix?
"Patches gratefully accepted" (C).  Oops, sorry, I guess it's "Donations
gleefully accepted" now... :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51