crontab fails to change crontab file: "no changes made to crontab"

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 10 10:37:00 GMT 2002

I'm using a cygwin that I refreshed yesterday, on Win2K SP2.

uname -a says: CYGWIN_NT-5.0 COMPUTER 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686
unknown

I installed the cron service following recommendations to include
CYGWIN="tty ntsec". Cygcheck reveals that cron is version 3.0.1-7.

Everything appears fine when I create my crontab file, and jobs do actually
run. But then I'm not allowed to edit the file. I even deleted /var/cron to
ensure correct permissions, and have tried both recreating it with the
postinstall script and letting crontab recreate it. No joy. The console
session below is fairly typical.

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ crontab -l
/var/cron: No such file or directory
/var/cron: created
tabs: No such file or directory
tabs: created
no crontab for sholden

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ crontab -e
no crontab for sholden - using an empty one
crontab: installing new crontab

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ crontab -e
crontab: no changes made to crontab

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ ls -lRF /var/cron
/var/cron:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    2 sholden  None            0 Oct 10 13:11 tabs/

/var/cron/tabs:
total 1
-rw-r--r--    1 sholden  None          224 Oct 10 13:11 sholden

>From a cursory reading of the source this look like a failure to rename the
temporary file. What have I done wrong?

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com