my CVS on NT stopped working

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans@csc.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 09:15:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

(cross-posted to info-cvs@gnu.org)

I'm using CVS 1.11.1p1 on NT 4.0 sp6a (CVS compiled from sources using
cygwin). My CVS server is a Linux machine (also running 1.11.1p1). I had a
module checked out ages ago
and was working happily with it. Now I suddenly get the following error
message:

$ pwd
  ~/parapet/PPhead

$ cvs -d parapet:/usr/local/cvsroot -t status Makefile

 -> main loop with CVSROOT=parapet:/usr/local/cvsroot
 -> Starting server: rsh parapet cvs server
 -> Sending file `Makefile' to server
/#cvs.lock): No such file or directoryctory for
`/usr/local/cvsroot/parapet/PPhead
'vs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
`/usr/local/cvsroot/parapet/PPhead
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
 -> Lock_Cleanup()

The jumbled up look of the error message is not an artefact of the mail
software. It's really how it comes out.

However, when I check out the module again somewhere else, everything works
nicely. Even stranger, when I run cvs from in gdb, it works fine.

I've tried to upgrade to cvs 1.11.2, but identical problems. Same problem
when I use cygwin's cvs version that setup installs (didn't try to gdb trick
there)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kris Thielemans