Question about Running GNU Utilities on Windows XP

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Mon Oct 7 15:09:00 GMT 2002

Yu,

Are you viewing the file name(s) from Windows Explorer, or via Cygwin "ls"?
If it's the former, do you have file name suffix suppression turned on. (To
check, using Windows Explorer activate the "Folder Options" dialog via the
"Tools -> Folder Options ..." menu command and switch to the "View" tab.
Examine the setting of the "Hide file extensions for known file types"
option. That option should be disabled to allow you to see real file names
in Explorer.)

Enabling that option can lead to confusion, since often there really is no
file whose full, real name is that displayed by Windows Explorer. For
example, if that option is enabled, then a file that Cygwin (and the file
system itself) knows as "PreciousData.txt" would appear in Explorer as
"PreciousData".

I personally dislike all the options in the Windows GUI that create
discrepancies between the underlying reality and what is displayed. Some of
these options can be turned off with stock controls such as the "Folder
Options" dialog, but others require add-on software like Xteq Systems'
"X-Setup" or Microsoft's unsanctioned TweakUI control panel.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA