Two ssh connections slow

Shing-Fat Fred Ma fma@doe.carleton.ca
Thu Oct 3 17:11:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm using TightVNC1.2.2 to connect to Solaris8 from WinMe.
I'm using OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090607f to open the connection.  This ssh came with
cygwin-1.3.12-4, which I just upgraded to.  Prior to this, I
was running OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.  I
don't remember what the cygwin version was prior to the
upgrade.

I'm finding that when I have two VNC sessions open via two
ssh channels to two different sun boxes, each session slows
to an unusable speed.  Most of the time, the response
freezes before too long and the connection is dropped (both
ssh and VNC).  Strangely, it is always the same machine that
drops the line, but thereafter, the remaining line speeds up
to a usable speed.  I don't recall two connections being a
problem before the upgrade, though I can't positively say it
is "correlated" with upgrading.

At first, I thought it was the free ZoneAlarm firewall, but
the same behaviour is observed without the firewall.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar kind
of situation-specific slowdowns with ssh on the new cygwin
installation.

Fred
Fred Ma
Department of Electronics