How do I get my .bashrc read at startup?

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Tue Oct 1 09:02:00 GMT 2002

Frank,

I've attached the two Windows shortcuts that I use to launch BASH, either
in a console ("Cygwin.lnk") or in RXVT ("RXVT-AM.lnk").

You'll no doubt want to edit these for the particular installation
directories, window sizes and colors and fonts and such.

In case these shortcuts are not acceptable under all versions of Windows (I
use 2K Pro), here's the commands they embed:

Console:
D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i

RXVT:
D:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -g 110x89+485+-1 -bg #dddddd -fg #000000 -fn "Lucida
ConsoleP-11" -sr -sl 5000 -tn rxvt -vb -e /bin/bash --login -i

The important parts are the "-i" and / or "--login" options. I recommend
reading the BASH manual page to get the full (mucked up) details of the
interaction between these options and the presence or absence of the
various start-up processing done by that shell (I can never keep it
straight in my mind and have to use the manual every time I want to
understand or change these things).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA