How can I avoid using a DOS box??

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Wed Nov 27 14:21:00 GMT 2002

[mn] wrote:

> No, you cannot claim that. rxvt still behaves strangely in some ways when
> being executed in Windows XP, for instance because of an annoying
> ClearType incompatibility. I do not know whether this grave bug has
> been fixed in the meantime, I'm still using the 1.3.13-2 release. But
> I strongly believe that the problem still persists.

The Cleartype problem has indeed been fixed! Update!

> I hope that in one upcoming release (btw, still within this year?) the
> ClearType problem will be fixed at last, as the workaround discussed
> here earlier is nothing but a lame temporary solution. For example "ls
> --color | less"
> will make your output (still) a mess...

Try ls --color=auto | less

> At the momentary state, I think rxvt's regrettably too buggy for becoming
> Cygwin's default installed terminal.

The only things I see as still issues are:

    * Incorrect handling of ptys WRT some Windows applications
    * Not properly killing the underlying shell when you use the Windows
      Close button
    * Possible deadlocks that Chris mentioned.

The Cleartype bug is fixed and it appears that you have a reasonable
workaround for your ls --color | less problem. (Personally I have an
alias for ls to be "ls -F --color=auto".