Rev: Problem with emacs: crontabs aren't getting installed

Joe Buehler jbuehler@hekimian.com
Tue Nov 26 09:44:00 GMT 2002

trevin wrote:

> Just to let everybody know, the above suggestion helped me find the real
> culprit: emacs.  emacs was not even exiting properly at all; the
> /tmp/real_emacs_exit_status file never got written out.  Also, the
> /tmp/crontab.* files were never cleaned up.  It appears that emacs
> *kills* its parent when you exit.
> So I downloaded and used the nano editor instead, and it works.  It's
> not crontab's fault; it's a bug in emacs.

Would you try something for me please?

Run (server-start) in a running emacs then set EDITOR=emacsclient
and try editing your crontab.  The file to be edited should pop
up in your emacs.  Edit it then do C-x# when you are done.

Emacsclient will exit, but not emacs.  I am curious what happens
to the parent process in this case...

Joe Buehler