ls problem

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Nov 22 09:50:00 GMT 2002

David,

The odd thing is that the delay occurred on a file (in a directory) that,
according to Carlo, do not exist. Nor do they exist on my system even
though I have all of the Cygwin packages installed (including XFree86/Cygwin).

Why would a simple attempt to access a non-existent file trigger a nearly
two-second delay in an anti-virus subsystem?

Does Windows have some kind of "auto-mount" capability for accessing remote
file systems? If it did and it were somehow triggered by the attempt to
access that directory it could explain the delay?

Could there be a Windows mount (not a Cygwin mount) active for that
directory that refers to a network drive letter with an invalid server
association?  (Is that even possible?)

Carlo, you could try one of these commands:

         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc' /l
         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\zoneinfo' /l
         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\zoneinfo\posixrules' /l

to see if Windows has a mountvol association with the directories involved
in the problem.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA