Conflict between libcygwin.a and GCC core libraries

Markus Gerwinski markus@gerwinski.de
Tue Nov 19 08:50:00 GMT 2002

Max Bowsher wrote:
> > After changing some more stuff in the makefiles, compiling runs fine now,
> > but linking still causes trouble. First, I got a lot of `undefined
> > references' to functions as basic as `__assert'. To get rid of them, I
> > included "-lcygwin" by hand into the linker options.
> Aaargh! First you tell gcc to not use cygwin, then you tell it to sort-of
> use cygwin.
> No wonder its confused!

It seemed to be the only way to avoid the undefined references I had before.
I had tried some other ways, but they either didn't work at all or yielded
the same result. (Explicitly linking with -lc, for example, got me the same
error message; just "libcygwin.a" was replaced by "libc.a".)

> Solution: Don't do that.

Okay, but what else?

> Do you actually intend to compile GPA for MinGW or Cygwin?

To be honest, as long as I end up with a runnable gpa.exe for Windows, I
dont' care... I gave it a try using Cygwin.

> If Cygwin, drop the -mno-cygwin.

Then GTK+-2.0 refuses to link.

> If MinGW, make sure the gcc-mingw package is installed.

It is, at least the binaries.

Yours,

  Markus