NEWBIE: Problem with $Home being set to /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

Harig, Mark A. maharig@idirect.net
Thu Nov 14 13:13:00 GMT 2002

> Just after upgrading to 1.3.15, when starting a Cygwin
> session, for some
> reason Bash is assigned to the home directory /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%
> Originally this was /home/Administrator/  I can not figure
> out what caused
> this to change, and how to go about changing this back.  Any
> suggestions?

1. What does the command 'id' report?  Or, 'id -un'?

2. Have you recently changed the contents of /etc/passwd?
   What are the permissions and ownership of this file?
   What are the permissions and ownership of '/etc'?

3. What bash initialization files are you using, i.e., /etc/profile,
   ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile?  Have you tried renaming
   those files or using the '--noprofile' and '--norc' optios?
   Have you checked their permissions and ownership?

---