RFD: cygipc ENOSYS patch

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 12 08:13:00 GMT 2002

> Chuck,
>
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:38:41AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:35:41PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> > I'm getting tired of the "initdb hangs" class of complaints.  Why
>> > doesn't the relevant function fail if the ipc-daemon isn't running?
>> > Can anything be done in that area?
>> > Motivated by the above, I finally looked into this long standing
>> Cygwin PostgreSQL problem.  Specifically, Cygwin PostgreSQL will hang
>> and consume all available CPU cycles if cygipc's ipc-daemon is not
>> running when either initdb or postmaster is started.
>> > I'm proposing that the attached patch (against cygipc-1.11-1) be
>> applied to cygipc since it solves the Cygwin PostgreSQL hang problems.
>> Specifically, this patch changes cygipc's shmget() and semget() to
>> return ENOSYS instead of EACCES if ipc-daemon is not running.
>
> See the following for the full details:
>
>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00136.html
>
> The Cygwin PostgreSQL and KDE communities seem to be happy with the
> above.  Would you be willing to accept such a patch into cygipc CVS?
>
> If so, then please let me know because I just found some more places
> where ENOSYS should be returned instead of EACCES.  However, I would
> like to gauge your interest before pursuing this further.

I've no objection.  But would somebody PLEASE tell me what the HELL
we're waiting for with respect to the 64bit key_t change in newlib?

I've had a new release of cygipc waiting for months, predicated on that
change, which I THOUGHT would happen "real soon".

Now, I have to revert all of that (I didn't make a branch point at the
time -- why bother? the change was "imminent") before I release any
other updates.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00314.html and following.

--Chuck