Lesstif compilation problem and setup.exe

Mark Manning markem@ev1.net
Mon Nov 11 09:23:00 GMT 2002

I decided to try compiling the latest version of Lesstif to get my feet
wet doing compilations of packages.  Download and untaring went well.
 Compilation seemed to go ok also until I'd gotten about 3/4 of the way
through.  Then Cygwin refused to continue compiling.  I was in fvwm2 at
the time.  When I flipped back to the window for Cygwin it had quite a
few messages about having run out of process space and that it could no
longer fork a new process.  I could not even exit Cygwin.  (ie: typing
"exit" just generated a new error.)

I decided that maybe fvwm2 was the culprit (after all X does suck up a
lot of process space sometimes) and so I rebooted my system, got back
into Cygwin, and recompiled.  Same results.

My System:

Windows98se box
Memory: 512mb
HDD: 30GB (17GB used)
Motherboard graphics, sound, etc....

Cygwin version: (currently downloading latest version to give this a go
again [as I type]) Release available on August 5th, 2002.  Full
installation download.

Notes: I was using tcsh under fvwm2.  Nothing fancy and I just did a
"make" (no options) after doing the ./configure (no options).  There
didn't seem to be any problems with the compilations (no errors only a
few warnings).  It just seemed to be the number of iterations make had
to go through which caused it to run out of process space.

If you need a screen dump - let me know.  I can either try to capture
the text itself (didn't work before but I can try again) or do a screen
capture (found a nice on-line product).  Didn't want to post the screen
capture.

Setup.exe:

I'd like to propose a couple of changes to setup.exe:
    1.    Make the dialog box resizable.  It would be nice to be able to
see the entire set of
            information about what is going to be downloaded without
having to scroll back and
            forth.

    2.    Change the options on what to do so "Update" is shown.  Either
"Install/Update" or
            maybe a separate radio button.  Anything just so we don't go
"I don't want to install
            the whole thing again!" before remembering the program is
smart enough to just do the
            update.  :-)

TIA!

Mark Manning