question about cygdrive flags string in the registry (Win 2000)

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Nov 8 08:16:00 GMT 2002

Vivian,

At 07:34 2002-11-08, Viviana Cotirlea wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I ported a database application on Windows 2000 using cygwin. For testing
>reasons I put on a clean (no cygwin installed) Windows 2000 machine the
>generated app.exe and the cygwin1.dll. For some reason the dbopen() call
>failed when trying to read the created before database.
>After trying to investigating the problem, I found out that it is working
>if in the registry the following data exists:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>cygdrive flags 22
>
>If this is missing the dbopen() call will fail.
>
>My question is: Because at one point I would like to distribute the
>product to others also, and I don't want to obligate them to install the
>cygwin, I would like to know why this string is required, and if my only
>solution would be to add that key in the registry if the cygwin is not
>already installed on that machine?

Attempting to hide your application's dependence on Cygwin is not a good
idea. We have a steady stream (well, a trickle, anyway) of people who
install Cygwin and immediately have problems because unbeknownst to them,
something they installed earlier (sometimes a long time ago) included a
Cygwin1.dll and multiple Cygwin DLLs on a given system don't coexist well.

I'm no lawyer, but be aware of your obligations under the open source
license under which Cygwin is made available (whatever they are).

>Thanks a lot,
>viv

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA