[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: OpenSSH-3.5p1-1

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 06:59:00 GMT 2002

Hi All...

I just updated to 3.5p1-1. I had to set PermitUserEnvironment in my
sshd_config file. Should this be included by default in the ssh-host-config
script?

I was a bit puzzled by the file owner and permission checking for the host
keys now (with StrictModes enabled)...If the owner is wrong, the mode
checking is ignored. I recall this test being stronger in the past...didn't
the owner have to be correct (SYSTEM)? If so, why the change to a kinder
gentler (less effective) safety check?

Given the host local security issues with using Cygwim, is there much
advantage to priv sep? Could someone please give a brief overview of what it
is and how and why it helps?

Thanks,

...Karl