Faster ls -l

Dan Holmsand holmsand@myrealbox.com
Sun May 26 17:47:00 GMT 2002

I've been playing with a modification to Cygwin that makes it treat
every file that has a "system" attribute as executable.

This has two advantages:

a) ls -l, du, etc. becomes a lot faster, without having to use mount -x,
since cygwin doesn't have to open every file to determine whether it's
executable or not. Especially on a network share.

b) Cygwin becomes a little bit more unix-like, for those of us using FAT
or FAT32 and thus unable to use ntsec.

I've been using this patch for quite some time now, without any bad
sideeffects (except that you have to chmod +x some scripts, or course).

Use it like this: apply the patch, compile cygwin, set your CYGWIN
environment variable to include "sysexec" (without that, you get plain
vanilla cygwin behaviour), use the new dll, and do a "chmod +x" on the
shell scripts in your path.

However, I'm giving up hope to get the time to become sufficiently
knowledgeable in cygwin to be able to say that my modifications doesn't
break anything on other configurations (e.g. together with ntea/ntsec),
or that doesn't have any other bad side effects.

So if someone wants to try it out, and perhaps create a more formal
patch based on this: be my guest. Otherwise, mv this to /dev/null...

/dan
--
Dan Holmsand