Circular symlinks in terminfo-5.2-2.tar.bz2

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue May 14 21:41:00 GMT 2002

Rick Rankin wrote:
> In the course of doing a complete reinstall from scratch, I discovered a set of
> circular symlinks in terminfo-5.2-2.tar.bz2. As distributed,
> /usr/share/terminfo/n/nxterm is a symlink to ../x/xterm-color which is a
> symlink to ../n/nxterm. This can be verified by running
>
> tar -tvjf terminfo-5.2-2.tar.bz2 | grep nxterm
>
> which produces
>
> lrwxrwxrwx cwilson/None      0 2002-05-08 11:40:45 usr/share/terminfo/n/nxterm
> -> ../x/xterm-color
> lrwxrwxrwx cwilson/None      0 2002-05-08 11:40:20
> usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-color -> ../n/nxterm
>
> The problem can be resolved simply enough by downloading the ncurses source,

No no no no no.  cygwin's terminfo is forked from ncurses --
specifically so that I can fix / update these sorts of problems without
forcing people to redownload all those libraries and binaries.

> applying the ncurses-5.2-8.patch file, removing /usr/share/terminfo/n/nxterm
> and /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-color, and recompiling the terminfo database.
> I'd supply a patch, but there's really nothing to patch -- the tar file just
> needs to be updated.

Also, terminfo-5.2-2 changed in only one respect from terminfo-5.2-1: it
now uses the XFree86-4.2.0 terminal definitions for xterm-*.  NOT the
ncurses-provided definitions.

However, I still had to hand edit some stuff; it looks like I missed a
cross-reference.  Will fix shortly.

--Chuck