1.3.11(CVS): Tar and bug with utime()?

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@yahoo.com
Tue May 14 07:11:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

Before you even reply, yes I did check the faq, the web, and all the
mailing lists for "Cannot utime", only one thread showed up, and it was in
regards to windows reserve names.  However this is showing up with every
file that gets untarred, and none of the files are reserve name.  I also
realize you can ignore this error without harm, however I thought it might
be sensible to report it.  It started after compiling some of the latest
cvs sources for the cygwin tools.  I am using the tar from the
distribution, the file I used it on was gzip-1.3.3.tar.gz from
alpha.gnu.org.  After executing "tar -zxvf gzip-1.3.3.tar.gz", I get
(abbreviated for length):w

tar: gzip-1.3.3/gzip.h: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/lzw.h
tar: gzip-1.3.3/lzw.h: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/revision.h
tar: gzip-1.3.3/revision.h: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/tailor.h
tar: gzip-1.3.3/tailor.h: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/zdiff.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/zdiff.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/zforce.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/zforce.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/zgrep.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/zgrep.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/zless.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/zless.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/zmore.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/zmore.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/znew.in
tar: gzip-1.3.3/znew.in: Cannot utime: Permission denied
gzip-1.3.3/gzip.info

I am running the latest cygwin on Windows ME.  As per the bug report howto
I am attaching cygcheck report.  Perhaps someone know what is going on
here.

Cheers,
Nicholas

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience