Updated: texinfo 4.1

Oliver Nittka nittka@esem.com
Wed Mar 20 15:13:00 GMT 2002

Lars Munch wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:57:36AM -0500, Oleg wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm curious, how does everyone start cygwin? I use a shortcut
>>"C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -sl 200 -fg white -bg black -geometry
>>110x43+0+0 -backspacekey ^H -fn 8x16 -e /bin/bash --login -i", starting in
>>"C:\cygwin\bin" (the geometry matches my screen resolution) Is there a
>>smarter/faster way to start cygwin?
>>

> I use the following in my shortcut:
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login -i
>
> And then I have this in my .Xresources (for rxvt)
>
> ! rxvt settings
> rxvt*font: 9x15
> rxvt*cursorColor: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*background: grey15
> rxvt*foreground: wheat3
> rxvt*saveLines: 1500
> rxvt*pointerColor: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*visualBell: off
> rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
> rxvt*colorBD: Yellow3
> rxvt*colorUL: MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*scrollColor: grey15
> rxvt*troughColor: grey11
> rxvt*termName: rxvt
> rxvt*modifier: mod1
>
> ! color0 - color7 are normal colors. The  defaults  are,  respectively
> ! black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, and white
> rxvt*color0:                   grey15
> rxvt*color1:                   IndianRed
> rxvt*color2:                   MediumSeaGreen
> rxvt*color3:                   Yellow3
> rxvt*color4:                   SteelBlue4
> rxvt*color5:                   MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*color6:                   Cyan3
> rxvt*color7:                   White
>
> ! color8 - color 15 are bold colors if the bold attribute is enabled.
> ! The  defaults  are,  respectively
> ! black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, and white
> rxvt*color8:                   grey15
> rxvt*color9:                   IndianRed
> rxvt*color10:                  MediumSeaGreen
> rxvt*color11:                  Yellow3
> rxvt*color12:                  SteelBlue4
> rxvt*color13:                  MediumOrchid3
> rxvt*color14:                  Cyan3
> rxvt*color15:                  White

I too use X resources for rxvt (though I've named the file ~/.Xdefaults
not ~/.Xresources). However my shortcut is a little fancier. First,
assuming that Cygwin's bin directory (e.g. C:\Cygwin\bin) is already in
the Windows System Environment Variable PATH (which it pretty much needs
to be, especially if your running inetd, et. al.) and assuming that your
Windows System32 path is also in your Windows System Environment Varible
PATH (which is always is) then my shortcut becomes:

cmd /c start /b rxvt -e bash --login -i

"cmd" is the Windows command processer (command on 98 and below). The
"/c" says run one command. That command is start. The /b tells start to
start the following command and not to create a window for it. Then
there's rxvt (found in C:\Cygwin\bin) with -e to run bash (also found in
C:\Cygwin\bin) with it's normal --login and -i parameters.

This still gives a flashing cmd window so I just change the shortcut to
start minimized.