OT: possible project/research project

Christopher Faylor cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Mar 20 09:16:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:37:42AM -0000, Stephano Mariani wrote:
>I would certainly agree with you about that, but the fact remains, a
>lot of code, that cygwin exists to ease the porting of, uses it.  If
>the work was done on fork itself, it would help speed-up a lot more
>that just configure (or similar) scripts.

That is making the oft-repeated assumption that there actually *is*
something that could be done to fork.

At this point, I'd even take ideas over patches.  However I'd like
informed ideas not "Say, I've heard that you can do copy-on-write
on Windows -- just make fork use that."

FWIW, /bin/sh uses vfork these days which, is basically just a spawn
call with some fd table copying overhead.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .