Screen color question

Barry Goldstein bag@shore.net
Wed Mar 6 13:56:00 GMT 2002

I should have thought of that, but having done it, it doesn't stick -- the
next prompt restores the dim light-green-on-black.

So I think it's my prompt that is 'insisting' on the dimness.

The prompt strings are
PS1=$'\\[\\033]0;\\w\\007\n\\033[32m\\]\\u@\\h \\[\\033[33m\\w\\033[0m\\]\n$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '

I'm not sure where to re-set these or what they should be -- I'll go and
read the man bash pages. All I want is the current directory followed by
the usual '>'.

BG

===================

At 03:50 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 03:39 PM 3/6/2002, Barry Goldstein wrote:
>>I installed cygwin and have been using it pretty much as it came "out of
>>the box" (on an NT4 box).
>>
>>As installed (with the bash shell), it displays light green on black
>>background and I'm going blind. I searched the faq, etc., and found all
>>sorts of stuff about setting colors in vim or emacs, but nothing about
>>setting the colors in the vanilla shell.
>

>You set colors for the console window the same way as you would for a
>DOS prompt (since the shell is just starting in a DOS prompt box).  Change
>the colors in the properties menu.  If you want to set colors instead
>within the shell instead, check out the bash documentation (man page, etc)
>for that information.

==
Barry Goldstein              Pequod Software
124 Otis Street              bag@shore.net
Newtonville, MA 02460-1846   +1-617-332-5758 (home)
U.S.A.                       +1-509-756-7445 (fax)