Strange behavior

Richard R. Malloy rrmalloy@attbi.com
Sun Mar 3 20:49:00 GMT 2002

OK. I'm no IA32 expert can someone explain the following results.  (Do
the floating point registers
use guard bits, randomly initialized perhaps?)

bool operator==(const Rational& r1, const Rational& r2)
{
  double a=r1.toDouble(), b=r2.toDouble();
  cout << ?== a " << a << " " << ?== b " << b << endl;
  return a == b;
  //  return r1.toDouble() == r2.toDouble();
  /*  return ( r1.numerator == r2.numerator && r1.denominator ==
r2.denominator ); */
}

5/4
== a 1.25 == b 1.25
1
-1/4
== a -0.25 == b -0.25
1
3/8
== a 0.375 == b 0.375
1
2/3
== a 0.666667 == b 0.666667
0                                                  //  return
r1.toDouble() == r2.toDouble();

5/4
== a 1.25 == b 1.25
1
-1/4
== a -0.25 == b -0.25
1
3/8
== a 0.375 == b 0.375
1
2/3
== a 0.666667 == b 0.666667
1                                                        return a == b;

But since the Rational are always reduced the "right" answer is

          return ( r1.numerator == r2.numerator && r1.denominator ==
r2.denominator );

    No?

Rich.