some Win32 exit codes become 0

Ted Romer Ted.Romer@performant.com
Tue Jun 25 19:30:00 GMT 2002

In cygwin-1.3.11-3, if I invoke a Win32 process that exits with negative status (or status >= 256), cygwin converts the status to 0.

Good practice or not, programs often use -1 as an exit status indicating failure, so this makes error checking challenging.

Easy to reproduce:

% perl -e 'exit(-1)'
% echo $?
0
% jython nosuchscript.py
% echo $?
0

The cause is that sigproc.cc:stopped_or_terminated assumes that the EXIT_SIGNAL bit in the exit code in fact indicates that the process exited due to a signal.  This is true for cygwin processes, but not for Win32 processes.

There is no nice fix that I can think of, since there isn't a clean mapping from Win32 exit codes to cygwin exit codes.  I'd be happy with any solution that mapped non-zero Win32 exit codes to non-zero cygwin exit codes.

Ted Romer