cygwin1.dll [1.3.11(CVS)]: Changes since 06/19 snapshot cause page fault in kernel32.dll

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 13:39:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 06:46:29PM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>PT>> 3) The new binutils has something to do with the crash
>
>I've found the following:
>
> Old 'ld'(200110) seems to place the following symbols and the first
> '.data_cygwin_nocopy' on a the same  place - '_data_end__' and
> 'wsock_started'.
>
> New 'ld' places them in the following order:
>   1. '_data_end__'
>   2. first '.data_cygwin_nocopy' section and 'wsock_started' starting
>      4 bytes after '_data_end__'.
>
>Of course it may have nothing to do with the crash - if so just tell me
>and I'll shut up :)

That's actually an interesting observation.  Thanks.

I can confirm that the test version of binutils is doing something
funky.  I've removed that version from sourceware.

What's really odd is that the version of binutils that I run under linux
to produce the snapshots (and the upcoming 1.3.11 release) seems to work
fine.

One problem with the bad DLL is that the constructor list is empty.  While
that speeds up startup enormously, it does cause the type of problems that
you're seeing.

cgf