Building dlls with cygwin

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Sun Jun 16 13:07:00 GMT 2002

Hi Steven,

> you should grep for the actual symbol that you are hoping to find in the
> dll, not "SYMBOL"

*OUCH* :-)

Thanks for your assistance, and for Chucks dllhelpers.

Now gpg can use cygwin build loadable modules. This will show up in the
next release of gnupg.

I think my problems came mainly from the misleading information in the "Cygwin User's
Guide" and the Cygwin FAQ. No offense indended David.

Hello David!

Proposal: Put a link to dllhelpers and in the Guide and the FAQ
(http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/dll-stuff/)

and replace the build commands with something like this:

Building DLLs
-------------
OK, let's go through a simple example of how to build a dll. For this example, we'll use a
single file myprog.c for the program (myprog.exe) and a single file mydll.c for the
contents of the dll (mydll.dll).

# Making the DLL
gcc -c -I. -g -Wall -o mydll.o mydll.c
gcc -shared -Wl,--out-implib=libmydll.dll.a -o cygmydll.dll mydll.o \
-Wl,--export-all-symbols

Linking Against DLLS

# Making exec
gcc -c -I. -g -Wall -o myprog.o myprog.c
gcc -o myprog.exe -g -Wall myprog.o -L./ -lmydll

Bye
    Volker