The Korn Shell [was: Re: What's Up With That (KSH)?]

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 13:54:00 GMT 2002

--- "Gregory W. Bond" <bond@research.att.com> wrote:
> First permit me to correct a common misconception: AT&T Labs Research is
> not Bell Labs. The latter is the R&D arm of Lucent. Lucent was spun off
> from AT&T in 1996/7. When the spin off took place,
> researchers in the original AT&T Bell Labs chose to go to Lucent Bell
> Labs (Lucent got to keep the 'Bell Labs' name) or to the newly formed
> AT&T Labs Research. Dave Korn chose AT&T Labs Research.

Boooo... Damn The DOJ, Judge Green, and The Modified Final Judgement for
splintering AT&T (which inevitably let to the lucent divestiture).  Now we
have all these other stupid phone companies providing crappy service :-p.

> I also wanted to corroborate  what Joe said about the relationship
> between Cygwin and U/Win and add that Dave's goals in creating U/Win
> included high performance and transparent integration of Win32 and
> Unix programs. In my opinion, Cygwin does not do as well in these two
> areas. On the other hand, Cygwin is superior to U/Win in the number of
> Unix apps that have been ported and are supported.

This is true, however there are a few posix functions which U/WIN has and
cygwin lacks :-(.  However the general acceptance of Cygwin in many
projects does give it the edge up.  Now if only there was a full fort of
glibc...

> With regards to ksh for Cygwin: a new version of the source and
> pre-compiled binaries have been posted at
> http://www.research.att.com/sw/download that should fix a problem I
> reported to Dave and Glenn
> that caused ksh to break on text mounted directories.
>
> It's great to have a real ksh for Cygwin!

I completely agree!  Down with the imposters!  Long live David Korn!

Cheers,
Nicholas