How to build mutt to deal with international characters?

David T-G davidtg-cygwin@justpickone.org
Wed Jun 5 07:03:00 GMT 2002

Jason, et al --

...and then Jason Tishler said...
%
% On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:35:09PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
% > > Does anyone know how to build mutt so it can deal with international
% > I'm using libiconv-1.7, that's probably it.  Otherwise nothing special as
% > far as I know.
%
% Are you sure?  I just found an old mutt-1.2.5i build of mine and this
% one *can* display international characters properly.  I also noticed

Of course.

% that mutt-1.2.5i does not require libiconv as the newer ones do.  Maybe
% this is the difference?

There were changes in the 1.3 tree that may have even been backported to
1.2.5.1 (though I doubt it; it was just a security fix).  I promise you
that there's lots of information on the mutt-users list; this has been a
persistent thorn.  [I've ignored it since I, the typical dumb American,
have no use for or appreciation of international characters, or I'd help
you myself.]

%
% Thanks,
% Jason