Duplicating Unix Domain Sockets

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jun 3 17:01:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, David E Euresti wrote:

> I'm not so sure that it'll make it that much slower. I mean we are talking
> of adding only a couple of bytes to every send Unix Domain sockets.  And
> Unix domain sockets never go outside the computer.  Obviously it'll hurt

Given that the implementation of Unix domain sockets normally pass
womping 108 byte path strings (see Richard W.  Stephens TCP/IP
Illustrated Volume 3 or the 'sockaddr_un' structure) with each message
a few extra bytes of overhead won't matter very much.

> if your program usually sends small packets, but you'll gain in being able
> to pass file descriptors through there.

Small packets are likely to be smaller than the address. :-)

Bob