Running out of process IDs

Nils Boeffel internationils@gmx.net
Wed Jul 24 05:16:00 GMT 2002

Nils Boeffel wrote:

> I seem to run out of processes frequently, and don't know what's causing
> it.  The only thing I've found that fixes it is a reboot.  I don't
> understand processes well enough to know what the problem is (windows or
> cygwin).
>
> I see this problem happen only when the process IDs are around 64-65k,
> so I'm guessing that it's running out of processes.  Process numbers
> seem to increase for me when I run a lot of scripts (I have some web
> traversal scripts in perl that call wget and other commands a lot).

Logging out and back in doesn't change anything; only a reboot seems to
help.  Something else that causes the problem is lots of
./configure;make runs.  It always happens when process numbers get close
to 2^16.

When trying to run rxvt after the logout/in I get an error dialog with:
"Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service."

The taskmanager looks normal... no strange processes anywhere, and
normal memory usage.  Does cygwin store any process related information
under /cygwin somewhere?  I looked but couldn't find anything.  Is there
anything to 'restart' about cygwin?  I don't run anything except from
the rxvt/bash shells.

Thanks,
Nils.