Suggestions for cron/suid script?

Jason Dufair jase@dufair.org
Mon Jul 1 08:41:00 GMT 2002

Hi all -

I recently got cron set up on my Win2K box.  What a treat not to have to
use Windows' built in scheduler!  Given that cron runs as SYSTEM, what
I'm wondering is this: Is there any way to get cron to see my network
shares?  Specifically, I'm tar/gzipping my Cygwin home dir and want to
copy the tarball to a directory on my LAN (Novell share) for which my
account for which my logged-in account is the only trustee.  When I run
a script that tries to map it with "net use", I get an error that
implies a permissions issue.  I'm not likely to be able to convince the
network folks to change permissions to add my local SYSTEM acct to this
share, so I wonder if there's some way to do it with, say, an SUID perl
script or something.  I briefly tried creating one, but not being super
familiar with suid, I'm having no luck.  Any advice would be welcome.
 Thanks!

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/