cron

Gerrit P. Haase freeweb@nyckelpiga.de
Mon Jan 7 03:46:00 GMT 2002

 Facey,

2002-01-07 11:19:44, du schriebst:

> I set up cron per your suggestion with:

> $ cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D \
> > -e "TZ=EST+5EDT,M4.1.0/M10.5.0" \
> > -e "CYGWIN=ntsec tty"

> I still can not get cron to work after starting the service and
> crontabbing my crontab file.

Hmmm.  I tried with a simple testscript which does nothing
than a `touch testfile'.  This worked.

> Does the Windows Scheduling service need to be stopped?
> Are my permissions (Administrator(u) None (g)) wrong on my crontab file
> (user is Administrator)?
> Do I need System permission to be successful?
> If you have an /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.d/crontab file, are there
> problems?
> Does cron look first to the user's crontab, then /etc/crontab and
> /etc/cron.d crontab?

The crontabs are stored in /var/cron/tabs/USERNAME
For each user a file with his username.  I really don't
know which file is looked up first.

Try with a little testscript, something like this:
#!/bin/sh
DATE=`date  "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S"`
touch /testcron.$DATE

Save it to /testcron.sh

Add:
* * * * * /bin/sh /testcron.sh
to you crontab,

$ cd /
$ ls *testcron*
testcron.sh*

One minute later:
$ ls *testcron*
testcron.2002-01-07-12-34-01  testcron.sh*

Two minutes later:
$ ls *testcron*
testcron.2002-01-07-12-34-01  testcron.2002-01-07-12-35-01  testcron.sh*

And so on.

What for you now?

Gerrit
--