cygwin gcc DLLs loaded by Visual C++ crashing

Dylan Cuthbert dylan@q-games.com
Wed Feb 13 19:06:00 GMT 2002

Thanks for the reply.

I have searched the mailing lists high and low and as far back as 1998 and
there are some references to this problem and some solutions, yet there are
no definitive "this works" type responses ( in fact, almost all the
time to try implementing all the various solutions listed with no guarantee
they work.  Maybe I'm searching with the wrong string - I'm looking under
subjects such as "initializing cygwin from dll" or "initialize cygwin dll",
am I missing some important keyword?

The closest thing I have found is probably the "use LoadLibrary" to load the
cygwin.dll manually and then calling cygwin_dll_init(), but even that
crashes according to
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-08/msg00790.html  (couldn't find
any response confirming or denying this mail)

Then there's the (from 1998) use the "crt0.o" to link with and create a
dummy thread and a main() which doesn't exit - this seems like a complete
hack.  I think this is probably the wrong direction, right?

Then there's this comment from cgf -
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg00366.html which seems to say
that cygwin_dll_init() is the way to go.

However, when I try using cygwin_dll_init I get an exception error, I
couldn't find any definition of a function called cygwin_dll_init in any
header file or library file anywhere so I force-ably extern'ed it. Does it
really exist, if so, where?

Any ideas, anyone?

Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com