Problem with less's output of man pages after update (ESC ...)

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Dec 20 08:43:00 GMT 2002

Gary,

Please attach your cygcheck output uncompressed--do not place it in-line in
the body of your problem report.

I wonder why I'm not seeing this symptom? I have groff 1.18.1 and don't
have the MANPAGER environment variable set.

This behavior was reported a few days ago
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00820.html> and
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00821.html>). It originates in a
change to the groff package recently released. Chris Faylor supplied the
remedy (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00849.html>):

export MANPAGER='less -R'

I found the messages with a local search for messages containing both "man"
and "escape".

Randall Schulz

At 03:33 2002-12-20, Gary T. Leavens wrote:
>Hi,
>
>When I updated cygwin yesterday, everything works except for the formatting of
>manual pages.  When I do
>
>$ man man
>
>I get output that looks like (starting with the third line):
>
>ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
>ESC[1mSYNOPSISESC[0m
>
>and in general has lots of these ESC codes.

>--
>
>         Gary T. Leavens
>         Department of Computer Science, Iowa State University
>         229 Atanasoff Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1041 USA
>         http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~leavens  phone: +1-515-294-1580
>

>--

Randy