Slowness on app startup after recent update (and yes I read the FAQ) - Solution - kind of

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Dec 13 16:17:00 GMT 2002

Ron,

Why ask why? It can all be traced back to the primordial singularity, of
course.

Is your HOME set in the Windows environment? If it is, the value inherited
from the environment upon shell startup will override the value that would
otherwise have been taken from your entry in /etc/passwd.

Why does upgrading software make things change? Because the newer software
is different. Sometimes those changes render old scripts and code
non-functional.

Blind upgrading is not really advisable. Read the release notes and know
what to expect and whether any special procedures are required. (Take it
from someone who's been bitten by upgrading without reading the release
announcements.)

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA