[FAQ?] Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:39:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins wrote:
> Some back-of-a-postcard sums:
>
> monolithic install
> 577MB install.
> 1 update to a package a week,
> 1 new 577MB install file created each week.
> longest period without updating - 2 months.
>
> this would mean an average of ~280MB per month downloading updates.
>

> modular install
> 577MB total download size
> 1 update to a package a week,
> 1 new modular install (avg ~5MB) created each week.
> longest period without updated - 2 months.
>
> this would mean an average of ~20MB per month downloading updates.
>
> Seems pretty clear to me, that for anyone on a slow link, or anyone
> charged by volume, that the modular install is much more efficient.

Faulty analogy.  Most users would probably only download the monolithic
tarball once, for their initial installation.  Then use setup.exe and
update things in a modular fashion after that.

Mebbe the FAQ could include "Can't I just download all of cygwin at one
time without using setup?"

Sure.  The easiest way is to get this (native windows) GUI port of wget:
   http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui/      (The GUI)
which needs
   http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/   (the actual wget binary + ssl
libraries)

[disclaimer: the software referenced here is not part of cygwin, not
supported by us, talk to the authors of the programs if you have
problems, yadda yadda yadda]

Install 'em, run the GUI ....

--------

If somebody (David?) writes up this FAQ, check
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00600.html and
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00595.html for more detailed
info on this GPL'ed software and step-by-step "click here, type this
there" instructions for using wGetGui to grab cygwin.

--Chuck