program that doesn't require cygwin1.dll

lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com
Thu Aug 22 11:08:00 GMT 2002

Hello Nemeth,

Perhaps the FAQ isn't exactly the question you have but it's close.
Once you look at the response, you'll see that it addresses your question,
which is why I directed you there.  So I guess it's fair to say that my
response is suggesting that a more broad perusal of the FAQ can often
unearth very pertinent and helpful responses to a specific question.  In
this case, these two FAQ questions are quite related to your inquiry.
However, I understand the reason for your original oversight of this
related FAQ entry.  I expect that it answers your question though, right?

Larry

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Nemeth Marton nm127@hszk.bme.hu
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:08:31 +0200 (MEST)
To: lhall@rfk.com, grouse@mail.utexas.edu, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: program that doesn't require cygwin1.dll

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC94>.

> >OK, you are right.
> >
> >I suggest to change the title of this question from
> >Can I build a Cygwin program that does not require cygwin1.dll at
runtime?
> >Can I use Cygwin API statically linked?
> >or to
> >Can I use Cygwin API statically linked (so it does not require
> >cygwin1.dll at runtime)?
>
> And I'll change the FAQ entry for you to read:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC95
> Can I build a Cygwin program that does not require cygwin1.dll at runtime?
>
> I think that covers it, right?

I think there are two reasons a program `does not require cygwin1.dll at
runtime':
 1. It doesn't use the Cygwin API
    (this case is described in http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC94
     `How do I compile a Win32 executable that doesn't use Cygwin?')
 2. It is statically linked with Cygwin API which is not possible
    (this is section http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC95)

For me it is not clear that the `Can I build a Cygwin program that does
not require cygwin1.dll at runtime?' refers to wihch case.

	NMarci