Odd permissions problem

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Wed Aug 21 16:14:00 GMT 2002

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hmm, in theory you shouldn't have access to your home dir under rsh
> since it's a share from another machine which isn't available to a
> process running under a SYSTEM environment. Except your home dir is
> publically available (i. e., no authentication needed).

Hmmm... I thought, while rshd does run as SYSTEM, etc, that at some
point I go from being SYSTEM to being me and as such I should have the
rights that my user account has.

> I don't understand what you're doing, probably.

My example is just that, a chopped down example to show the problem. The
problem is that we build software under Cygwin with make. I've created a
semi-fancy script that "does the make on the server machine" so that the
compilers, source, etc are all local. This drastically speeds up the
time necessary to build our software. Well sometimes some people
experience permissions problem when building. But a large majority of
the other times it works just fine. So I chopped the problem down to
simply "I can't rsh to my own machine as me and touch a file in my home
directory that's mounted from another server".

> Do you rsh to the same machine as you're doing the first `pwd' on?

Yes. $(hostname) returns the hostname much the same as `hostname`. It's
supposedly newer syntax that I grown accustomed to using.

> Or do you rsh to the server which provides your home dir?

No.

> Did you try e. g. an
>
> rsh hostname echo foo > foo

Hmmm... That works!

> to check if touch is performing unnecessary tests or an
>
> rsh hostname strace touch foo

Well rsh $(hostname) strace touch foo did nothing but say permission
denied. However I tried a simple rsh $(hostname) followed by a touch foo
and that also gave a permission denied. Then I did strace touch foo and
captured the output below: