[ECOS] why cygwin does not support "iostream.h"?

Gareth Pearce tilps@hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 20:11:00 GMT 2002

> > > I believe this is in the gcc FAQ.  However, it's been asked often
>enough
> > > on this list, so here's an answer for the archives:
> > >
> > > gcc uses the file extension to determine the language.  Any extension
>it
> > > doesn't recognize is assumed to be a C file.  The default extension
>for a
> > > C++ file is ".C".  gcc does not recognize ".cxx", which is used by
> > > Microsoft compilers, I think.  It is, of course, possible to tell gcc
> > > treat a ".cxx" file as a C++ file.  In case you don't want to mess
>with
> > > the gcc configuration, use either the "-x c++" option of gcc, or
>simply
> > > call g++.
> > >         Igor
> >
> > Hmm, I suppose I better correct myself before someone else does...
> > The default extensions (suffixes) for C++ are ".C", ".cc", ".cpp", and
> > ".cxx".  Any suffix that is not recognized (e.g., ".o" and ".a") is
>passed
> > directly to the linker.
>
>What's wrong with me today? :-(
>Please strike the ".cpp" suffix.  The above should read:
>The default suffixes for C++ are ".C", ".cc", and ".cxx".
your 'mistake' was understandable, since ".C", ".cc", ".cxx", ".cp", ".cpp"
and".c++". are all considered c++ in gcc 3.0 and up. (although the person in
this question is obviously using <3.0 since they got it to compile :P)

Gareth