Starting Apache for Cygwin as a service

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Thu Aug 8 17:40:00 GMT 2002

Dylan Cuthbert wrote:

> I had this problem too.
>
> It is caused by apache forking itself and killing its parent, ie. the
> original task the service manager starts up, then the service manager
> thinks that apache has aborted and reports the error, and closes down
> the entire process.
>
> At least to my understanding it is *something* like that.

Yes. I also had this problem with exim when using cygrunsrv. With exim
there was a parameter that I could use to tell it run in a more "normal"
daemon mode. However with Apache there is no such parameter, hence the
question.

> The way to get around this problem is to use a tool called Invoker.exe
> that wraps this kind of linux-like daemon behaviour, the instructions
> are here http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/Howto/NT-service/

Using this invoker, having to create another user and assign it special
rights, etc, seems like a real bother especially when even this solution
doesn't solve the "net stop apache" problem.