Console issue

Karl Zilles zilles@1969.ws
Thu Aug 8 13:33:00 GMT 2002

Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> Then I go into vi on a big text file and while in vi, tap above the
> scroll thumb a few times to page up in the console.  Then I do :q and
> when I start hitting enter again, the contents of what was in vi is still
> present in the screen buffer.  This means that I have to hit enter a lot
> of times to get past it.

I had this problem when scrolling back to look at long steams of output
from tomcat.  Then I'd hit return and instead of returning the view to
the cursor, it would move the cursor up to the location I was viewing
(on top of the output text).

I think this is a bug/limitation of the windows console and not a cygwin
problem.  I changed to rxvt, and in addition to getting rid of that
problem, I get better terminal emulation on some of the systems I ssh to.

Karl Zilles