A better shell for cygwin ?

Bjoern Kahl AG Resy kahl@informatik.uni-kl.de
Mon Aug 5 01:32:00 GMT 2002

 Hello !

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Matts wrote:

> I use cygwin regulary, and find it great. But there is one
> annoying thing and that is the shell.
>
> It feels like an addon to the windows shell. The thing I miss
> most is the cut and past features that I am familiar with
> from linux systems.

 You confuse the shell and the terminal it is running in.

> Having to go to buttom at top left, then selecting MArk, then
> goto same button to choose Copy enter, and then again for
> past is very annoying.

 Just go to the mentioned top-left, select properties (or some
 thing like that - I do not konw the english versions)
 enable "quick-Edit" and "Insert-mode" (last two checkboxes
 in the "options"-field). Now you can mark with the left button,
 copy with the right, and past with an other hit of the right
 button.

> Do you agree that a new terminal program, with the same
> features as in most linux dito would enhance the usage
> and apperance of cygwin a lot ?

 Use rxvt comming with cygwin, or use xterm and a x-server.

 Have fun!

  Bjoern

| Dipl.-Phys. Bjoern Kahl +++ AG Embedded Systems and Robotics (RESY) |
| Informatics Faculty +++ Building 48 +++ University of Kaiserslautern|
| phone: +49-631-205-2654 +++ www: http://resy.informatik.uni-kl.de   |