Problems running tin newsreader

rotaiv rotaiv@biapo.com
Mon Apr 29 06:04:00 GMT 2002

When I downloaded the binaries for tin from
ftp://ftp.tin.org/pub/news/clients/tin/stable/tin-current.tar.gz and tried
to execute it, I get the following message:

      Can't get a (fully-qualified) domain-name!

      Try and save newsrc file again? (y/n): y

I followed the directions and exported NNTPSERVER so it pointed to a known,
valid, NNTP server.  But it still does not work.  Is there something else I
should be doing?  I tried to search the archives and on the Internet but
could not find anything useful.

Incidentally, I tried to compile my own version but that also failed with
an error message that it could not find the parsdate.y file.  This file was
present in the "src" directory so I don't know what it failed.

I am using cygwin 1.3.10-1 with all the latest packages from setup.

Regards,

rotaiv.