hmmm possible gpl problem?

Christopher Faylor cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Apr 23 11:58:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 07:34:07PM +0200, Adrian Prantl wrote:
>I really don't think that it would be appropriate to start a fox hunt
>for everyone that could be violating the gpl in this or the other minor
>way.  As long as the reason is not a commercial exploit, I believe that
>too much cautions would result in a harm to the free software
>community.  I believe that a too strict prosecution of the rules would
>not encourage people to release there works to the public.

I can't say that I agree.  If a license isn't enforced, it becomes worthless.
If we can't rely on people who should be our allies to follow the rules,
and illustrate how it should be done, then I don't see how we can enforce
the rules in good faith with anyone else.

I'm not saying that we should start a "fox hunt" but we should certainly
politely inform people of the rules whereever we see them broken.

cgf