Automating Package Updates

Alan Dobkin Alan@ADobkin.Net
Thu Apr 11 14:11:00 GMT 2002

Has anyone developed a mechanism to notify and automatically
update Cygwin packages on deployed systems?  I've searched
the list and haven't seen anything like this yet, so I'm
working on a perl script do it, which I will share if
there is interest.  The idea is similar to RedHat's RHN/
up2date program for Linux.  But if something like this
already exists for Cygwin, then I won't reinvent the wheel.

The script I'm working on requires Cygwin to already be
installed, so it's not intended as a replacement for the
setup program, and it would probably no longer be needed
once there is a command-line setup.  It also requires perl
to run, along with bzip and tar for package installation,
ssmtp for e-mail notification, and cron for automation.
It compares setup's installed.db file with the latest
setup.ini to determine what has changed.  If it updates
any packages, it revises the entries in installed.db and
the package contents files in /etc/setup to keep setup
happy for future manual updates with the GUI.

Alan