Creating Static Libraries

Suhanthan Vanniyasingam Suhanthan@eRunway.com
Tue Apr 2 19:49:00 GMT 2002

Hi Larry,

Thankyou for your reply.

I'm asking can we create static libraries(LIBs) rethar than dynamic
libraries(DLLs). I think the import library cannot be used alone as a static
library. Is it?

Thank You,

Regards,
Suhanthan, V.

Suhanthan Vanniyasingam
www.eRunway.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 9:54 PM
To: Suhanthan Vanniyasingam; 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: Creating Static Libraries

At 02:47 AM 4/2/2002, Suhanthan Vanniyasingam wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to cygwin. I have found that we can create DLLs using
>Cygwin. So What abouts *.lib s?
>
>Is there any relationship between *.a created with cygwin and *.lib?

Yes.  If the *.a is an import library (stubs referencing a DLL) rather than
a static library, the format is the same as the *.lib.

>Is it possible to use these *.a libraries with VC++?

Generally, so long as you don't use dynamic memory (or if you do, you need
be very careful about freeing it in the same library as it's allocated -
better to just stay away from it).