NcFTP Feature Request for "getline" (fwd)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 2 18:09:00 GMT 2002

I can't reproduce this the way you see it.  OTOH, I understand your
problem, and the short answer is:  use " character.

ncftp> open "R<tab> U<tab>

should do what you want.

On cygwin, using rxvt (TERM=rxvt) or dosbox (TERM=cygwin), I get:

ncftp> open <TAB>
neuro    rcn
ncftp> open

two tabs, and I get

ncftp> open <TAB> <TAB>
neuro    rcn
ncftp> open  (e.g. the second tab is interpreted here)
neuro    rcn
ncftp> open

likewise, when I do something as (IMO) silly as having multi-word
bookmark names, in both environments I get

ncftp> open <TAB>
neuro one  neuro two  rcn  (lists all three bkmks)
ncftp> open n<TAB>
neuro one  neuro two       (lists two bookmarks, autocompletes 'euro '
ncftp> open neuro<TAB>
neuro one  neuro two  rcn  (thinks that 'open neuro ' is two words, and
                             tries to autocomplete an entirely new
                             word -- so it re-lists all three bkmks)

If I try to help, by typing the 'o' for 'neuro one', it doesn't help --
it tries to match on words beginning with 'o' and since I have no bkmks
that begin with 'o' -- no match.

ncftp> open neuro o<TAB>
ncftp> open neuro o

This is The Right Thing To Do, IMO.  Very unixy.  Now, if I do THIS:

ncftp> open "neuro <TAB>
neuro one    neuro two

Then, I help by adding an 'o':

ncftp> open "neuro o<TAB>  (it autocompletes!  'ne"')

ncftp> open "neuro one"

Again, The Right Thing To Do.  Remember, cygwin ain't windows.

--Chuck